Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How it Happened...


I have had alot of people contact me to find out how I got in People Magazine, so I figured I would share it with you all here.

In October I attended a Breast Cancer Awareness event hosted by "Pink isn't Always Pretty." At this event I met my current wedding planner blogger Coretta at Coretta's Elegant Events.blogspot.com. When I met Coretta I instantly knew she had to help me plan my wedding so we chatted and exchanged info. About a week later she wrote an article on her blog about a magazine doing a weight lost challenge for brides. I saw the email sent in my info and the rest was history! Don't forget to follow my articles in People Magazine (in stores now :-)

Meeting Corretta at the Pink isn't Always Pretty (P.I.AP.) event motivated me to continue to promote Black Women's Health like I do at Nubian Fitness Goddess by organizing a team for a Breast Cancer Walk (Stay Tuned for more info!). The Breast cancer gene also runs in my family so it is really important to me to support P.I.A.P.

More about P.I.A.P
P.I.A.P.’s mission is to provide a national community of support for women of color coping with breast cancer through raising awareness, education on healthy living and encouraging freedom of expression. Be sure to visit there site!

2 Comentários

Pink Bombshell said...

I read a fb post about you in People Magazine and decided, though I didn't know you to ask about your journey and you kindly responded. So, I decided to follow you. I normally only blog for others, as its a part of my job. This is the first time I am blogging for myself. I am excited to to view you from the curb as you take your journey to a destined success.

2 years ago my girlfriend and I formed a team and walked in the Susan G. Komen 60 mile, 3 day walk. It was a life changing experience. We did all we did to get our friends and family to join us. It was not the walk that deterred them but the $2200 you had to raise to walk. I actually had to pay most of the $2200 to walk. I don't work in an office, I am new to my city and my family is all over the country. Raising the funds was not my fear at all, I wanted to donate the dollars, even if I had to pay out of pocket and I was drawn to the challenge of completing the miles. I also am a strong supporter of finding "the cure". Since the walk, I've had a sorority sister die of breast cancer and my husband had a partial mastectomy. While walking, I had no idea those two situations would occur, but, something in me knew that it would be important for me to do my part in raising funds. Thats another blog.
On the walk we only ran into a handful of other minority women. As soon as we saw others, there was an instant friendship. We shared, talked, shared meals and walked together as if we'd known each other forever. There were just not enough of us there. We all talked about how to get more minorities involved and committed to the task of continuing in our effort to grow our team.."Pink is Our Link". This year we tried again, of course the failing economy had touched so many...it was impossible. "Pink is Our Link" had to take a curbside view last year but we will return this year. We walk in DC, so if you'd like to merge your efforts with us, we'd be open.
The walk was hard. The 60 miles really wear down your body but as you meet so many survivors, family of those who didn't survive and those who are just passionate about the cause it inspires you to keep moving. Strangers hold your hand, pull you up when you think you can't make it and wipe your tears when the pain seems to unbearable to continue. Most do continue and the finish line IS amazing. I had fractured by tibia bone by day 3 but decided I had to complete the walk. I didn't spend 2 nights in a tent to take a shuttle across the finish line. I had to walk across. About 5 miles from the finish line, the pain became unbearable. I called my husband to tell him I wasn't sure if I could walk the rest. The streets were shut down and I'd missed my last opportunity to get on the shuttle provided for those who needed support. I had to walk. I told my girlfriend to go ahead, I had to find a short cut. She continued to walk the full 5 miles and another walk showed me a way that I could take about 1 mile off my journey. The last 4 miles were tearful and my leg had swollen like the nutty professor by now, it was numb but I walked. Those who walked beside me those last more miles were my rocks. They provided support, ice and the love I needed to make it. Finally, I saw the finish line..my husband and two children saw me and began to cry. I hobbled across the line and my husband carried me straight to the nurses. It was amazing. I took me 3 days to walk and 3 months to recover from my injury but it was worth it. I WILL walk again and I encourage everyone else to do it as well.

Fitness Goddess said...

Wow! That is an amazing story. I love your passion. I am in D.C. too, so we should definitely chat and see how we can collaborate.

Post a Comment